suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

The Windup Girl

The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi Wow, this book was immensely unsatisfying.

And for the life of me, I don't know why it's won so many awards, accolades and general love from so many people.

The story takes place in Bangkok, after the "Contraction" (both peak oil events and the general destruction of the ecosystem, complete with plagues cause a collapse in society as we know it and quality of life), where a host of not-quite-interesting characters interact. Everything from eco-terrorist types trying to keep their country clean and uncorrupted, to "Calorie men" from Monsanto like agri-mega-corporations that are both making the next awesome "insert food staple"-strain that will last a couple of generations ahead of whatever blight it is that's killing the food and people, to a battered and betrayed "new person" who's been genetically engineered by scientists.

I absolutely adore Bacigalupi's short stories, so I was really looking forward to this book. But I found it tedious. The narration was slow, and I had absolutely no emotional investment in any of the characters (or anything, really, except for a rambutan fruit, which should tell you something).

Add in an over-abundance of rapey-ness (I freely admit an abhorrence of using rape and sexual degradation as cheap plot devices), and I just checked out for most of the novel.

It's a shame - the ideas presented in the novel had a lot of potential, but I just couldn't get into it. I vastly enjoyed Atwood's Oryx and Crake as far as the dystopian future gene-splice/biopunk bleakness goes.