suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

The Quantum Thief

The Quantum Thief - Hannu Rajaniemi I really wanted to like this book a lot. But, I can't really like a book a lot that requires me to look online to make sure I'm understanding things correctly. I appreciate that this book is complicated, I appreciate that this book doesn't info-dump and is generally pretty streamlined. I had a bit of a time figuring out what all of the jargon and names (races, clones, etc) were, because there was only more jargon framing them. And while I like intelligent books and actually exercising my brain, I also tend to not want to spend more time re-reading, backtracking, or reading a wiki than enjoying the actual book. I think just framing things with some sort of context clue occasionally would have made me happier. Or an index.

The book itself is a fun little caper/heist, where the main protag is heisting in an attempt to eventually heist his own memories. I loved the interesting use of exo-memories, gogols, and fun tech. The politics and interplay between characters and groups were interesting as well. I know that I might have missed a lot of nuance, since I don't "get" some of the literary and pop-culture illusions (if the wiki and other articles are correct about influences), but it was still a solid book. On the other hand, I didn't really care enough about the characters or plot to want to rush out to read the sequel either.