suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel - Neil Gaiman This was a thoroughly lovely book that was a complete joy. It's about a boy and his childhood, where he runs into problems, and meets a cadre of kick-ass heroines. Full of nostalgia, love, horror, innocence and everything else that a childhood holds. It is memory, it is love, it is childhood. It's quintessential Gaiman - full of the quiet and beautiful magic that he infuses into everything he writes. I read (somewhere) that this was a Gaiman book for adults, and I wholeheartedly agree. There are a number of books that should be read at the right time in your life, often I miss the deadlines and can recognize that I should have read them when I was an adolescent or child or college-aged. This should be read as an "older" adult, to appreciate the nostalgia he has breathed into the story.

Listening to it was a complete joy - Gaiman is the only author I will listen to as a narrator, and as you can feel his voice when you read his writing, you become engulfed in him and his love and belief in his work when you listen to him narrate it. This is, easily, my favorite of all of his works on audio (I think American Gods is the only one I've read I've not listened to audio as well). I'm sure I'll be reading it or listening to it again.