suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

The White Queen: A Novel (Cousins' War (Touchstone Hardcover))

The White Queen - Philippa Gregory 2.5 Stars. I bumped it to three because it got me looking up facts and learning things. Books that make me learn are (generally) a good thing.

So bonus cookies to Philippa Gregory for writing from a woman's perspective. I do love that we get the forgotten/less-noted viewpoint represented. It's fun to remember, that, you know, there were women involved in history. And they did stuff.

The woman in this case is Elizabeth Woodville. Wife of Edward VI, mother to Elizabeth York (the future queen consort of Henry VII and mother of Henry VIII). This book is primarily interested in the War of the Roses, the war for the throne of England between the Lancaster and York families. It ends shortly after the Princes in the Tower mystery/debacle/debate/whatever.

It was interesting, what I liked is that she didn't just take the accusations of witchcraft (against both Elizabeth and her mother Jacquetta), but brought the supernatural into the story by making Elizabeth, her mother (and her daughter, a bit) sometimes practitioners of magic.

She plays with the Princes in the Tower mystery and seems to name Perkin (Warbeck) as the actual Richard, Duke of York (and therefore heir to the throne).

Interesting, and kinda fun... but...

The writing was absolutely terrible. The story plodded in many areas, but its biggest sin was how painfully repetitious it was. The same phrases and words happened over and over and over again. It was really annoying. For the length of the book, I felt there wasn't a lot of substance, it was a lot of romanceyness, and a little less action than I would have liked.

I prefer Alison Weir's drama (to the dryer non-fiction), so I may have been spoiled. I know I wasn't a fan of The Other Boleyn Girl, either. If the repetitious writing hadn't been so irritating, I might have continued with the series, but I've had enough.