suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Uncaged: A Thriller

Uncaged - Paul McKellips Oh ugh.

I wanted to like this book, I did. I have had a few ads for this book through my professional associations, and it makes sense. I am/was a biomedical researcher, I do work with laboratory animals.

Here's a thriller, all about sciency-mediciney stuff with animals! It's a "what if" story. What if animal research was banned. Even better, what if animal research was banned and it was all an evil conspiracy.

The story was OK. It was a bit much. A lot of links, a huge over arching conspiracy. The use of how animal rights people work and what means they use for their havoc and terrorism is there. The story wasn't bad.

I thought the writing left a lot to be desired. It was very choppy. There would be all kinds of things going on and then the author would stop with some statistics. Hard numbers, that while are totally true, don't fit the story at all. I'm sure the readership is happy to know that rats get however-many square inches of space at however-many grams of weight, but it doesn't matter to the story. This was not the way to "educate" the public, I'm sorry.

And by going into too much detail: 1. He lost the story and 2. He lost me. I mean, WHY would some desert lab use nice expensive tecniplast cages when they could use older, cheaper stuff. WHY would one specific institution be called out from the largest medical/research complex in the world? Some of it just didn't make sense. Plus, well, if you didn't have industry knowledge it might just be annoying.

The main character was such a Marty Stu it was ridiculous. The characters were just flat.

So.. meh. I know what he was trying to do, I get it, I just didn't like the way he was trying to do it.