suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Shades of Grey: A Novel

Shades of Grey: A Novel - Jasper Fforde I hate it when an author I really like does something I don't like (or just don't care about).

I think Jasper Fforde tried a little too hard in this novel. This book tries to be too many books at once and manages to be rather slow and clunky while doing it. I know that it's the first book in a series, and it would be slower paced because of the world building that generally takes place in the first novel of a trilogy (or any series), but I was pretty close to spending time with other books instead of this one.

The summary of the book is correct in when it says "Part social satire, part romance, part revolutionary thriller," but I think it's more accurate to say it's part mediocre social satire, mediocre romance and mediocre revolutionary thriller. I could see where Fforde was going, but it could have been done (and has been done) better.

I didn't hate it, I was bored by it and I'm just not sure I'm going to bother with the rest of the series. Life is short and there are a lot of other books I am eager to read out there.