suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

I haven't read this book since college (nearly 20 years ago), and I had forgotten how much I loved it.

The books is, of course, all about the life of Edmond Dantès, his wrongful imprisonment, his return to society with his revenge, forgiveness, and peace.

It takes place from about the time that Napoleon busts out of Elba-prison and through the reign of Louis-Phillippe, in France (principally Marseilles and Paris), the Mediterranean, and Italy (Rome, mostly).   The historical events taking place in the book are a fundamental part of framework of the story.   Dumas based Edmond's story on a shoemaker who was also (actually) imprisoned under similar circumstances.

I love how far-reaching the story is, how many different kinds of revenge Edmond wreaks, how much thought and foundation work is in play for some of the plots he casts upon the people who have wronged him.   I also like that he has to watch as his revenge sometimes has farther reaching effects than he plans and how he has to cope and come to terms with the collateral damage he creates.   There are a lot of strong themes through the book, and I think they're all plotted (hah!) well and tightly.

The movie is a different animal than the book entirely, but keeps a lot of its spirit, in my opinion, but I'd forgotten how much I loved some of the complexities and longer, more delicious storytelling.