suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

Once upon a time, I refused to read GoT.   Then a book club chose it, and since it was slated to come out as a mini-series, I figured why the hell not.   And I read it, and the sequels, and watched the show, and now I'm one of millions that are crawling through the wasteland of wait for the next book.  I figured I would have myself a re-read and see how it goes.

It is as mysogynisticy, as brutal, as over the top as everything I had heard it was.   It's a white man's world building, it's "medieval" fantasy (you know, fantasy, where you can literally make anything happen, but you stick to the conventions of the genre:  Nice rich white guys running around stabbing each other, while lesser folk are raped and plundered).

I make no apologies, and I'm not going to sugar coat it, it is what it is.

It's also my dirty, dirty guilty pleasure.   It's all the things I don't want to read, but GRRM is a god-damned genius at the white-man's fantasy.   He has a lot of balls in the air, but he makes sure that those balls are all working together to weave a rather tight (if verbose) story.

The re-read holds up, and is, of course, way more enjoyable, because suddenly details which seemed unimportant through the first books start to scream "Do you see!"

The games glorious genius bastard GRRM plays with the characters and plot are still enjoyable (if no longer a surprise), and instead of rushing from action scene to action scene, as I did in my first read-through, now I'm slowly combing each non-actiony passage for any clues to his endgame.

I still love this series, in fact, I might love it more, though I will readily admit to its many shortcomings and still believe this is not necessarily a book for everyone.