I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Half a King - Joe Abercrombie

First I have to thank Del-Rey/Spectra/NetGalley for the chance to read this ARC.

And now to the review:

Abercrombie's new book (and first novel in a new trilogy) is not set in the same universe as the First Law trilogy;  it is not nearly as gritty and raw, but it is still well written.   I admittedly love Abercrombie's writing, and although this is more YA-ish, it's still pretty solid.

We have another fantasy world (although there's nothing strictly "fantasy" about it - it's just another medieval-norse-ish world), and although it is most definitely not egalitarian, I'm rather pleased that we have a number of very strong female characters, from the minister to the queen, a ruthless captain/antagonist to a sympathetic slave.

The story regards a young second-son prince who unexpectedly becomes the king (I'm not spoiling anything here, that's the first chapter) and his "coming of age" journey.

I truly enjoyed the book, but it was light enough I didn't feel like I had to pick it apart.   Because I wasn't deeply analyzing every passage, I enjoyed being surprised at some of the twists and turns.

It's a fun read, a much lighter, but very Abercrombie book.  It is the first book in the trilogy, but thank the heavens, is a complete story on its own, although I am looking forward to reading the next books in the series.