suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker

This book is probably one of the most difficult I've ever tried to write a review for.

It's not a difficult book to read, but it has a lot going on (now with a lot of characters), and it's like an onion with it's many layers (go, go common metaphor!)

At the most basic level - it's about its two principal characters - the Golem and the Jinni.  It's about their history, their travels, their personalities and difficulties;  their origin stories and how they make their way in the world is all there.

I love that the two main characters are mythological beings from non-mainstream/western cultures (basically, not the popular Greco-Roman gods, nothing Norse or European).   The author uses good material that other authors usually ignore.

And at that basic level, it's a good, solid story.  There's plenty of plot (though it's not fast paced and actiony), but a lot of good, solid character building in there.   The book is both fun and melancholic, and does a fantastic job of making me connect with the characters and caring for them.

At the same time, there are a lot of deeper philosophical issues being explored through the book, through their lives and choices (or lack thereof) and through conversations and debate.

It's a fascinating work - both a good, solid fantasy read, and actual literature.   Probably one of the best works I've ever read.  It's not perfect, but it is fantastic.