suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

The Fool's Assassin - Robin Hobb

First I have to thank Random House/Del Rey Spectra/NetGalley for the chance to read this ARC.

And now to the review:

It's really best if you have read Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies, because characters developed in those trilogies are once again main characters in this book (maybe trilogy?).    It's not completely necessary, she gives enough information (without being infodumps), I think, for a naive reader to get along, and definitely a good amount (but not too much!) for someone who hasn't read the series in a long time to get their memories refreshed.

The primary protag is once again FitzChivalry Farseer.   This book picks up after the others and he has settled down at Withywoods with Molly.    I don't want to give away too much plot, but their lives progress quietly, until it doesn't.

We still get to see Chade and Riddle and a few other of the characters that have been well fleshed out previously.  I think, much as the other trilogies she has written, that the Fool is still the principal character, even if he's not around all of the time.

It's a solid novel, and a good lead in to the (presumed) trilogy.   I only have two real complaints, one is that Hobb is again being overly wordy, as I believe she's gotten in her later books.  It's a (metaphorical in this case, since it's an epub) doorstop.   The book is slow, and long, and it could be a nice lead in, but could have been much shorter.   I felt every inch of that book.   And I, personally, prefer series in which each book is a stand alone story.  Not that there isn't an over-arching plot, but where one isn't left hanging.

But the landscape and atmosphere was good, and the characterizations were excellent, as always.  So I would still  highly recommend it to any fan of her other series.