suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Dreams of Gods & Monsters: Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Book 3 - Laini Taylor
  • I want to be positive, because this book was close to having four stars...

So let's start off with the good things:
    Decent world building.  It's the last in the trilogy, so you expect an author to work within the world she's already built, but she actually expands it (which is both good, and very bad)
  • Origin myth - yayz for actually explaining where everything started, even though I felt like it was cheating a bit with the big info-dump
  • No triangle. None.  Strive and angst, but no love triangle.  Thank you.
  • The characters - Most of them were pretty good, and I did enjoy all of them, even the cartoony evil ones.  But the secondary characters?  Awesome.

And the bad:

• Dropped characters - People just... fell out of the story (well, a lot of storylines did), and while I don't always expect every ending to be tied up pretty, I do expect something beyond just being dropped.   I realize I should grow a pair and get over that, it just didn't gel well with the story frame.
  • Terribly anticlimactic.  Not even a little bit.  I listed on audiobook, and I thought "that's it?" and checked the time left (3hours, btw), and then listened to 3 hours of virtually nothing.
  • Pacing, I'm probably double dipping here by mentioning the anti-climactic-ness (is that a word?) of it all, but the pacing was a bit uneven through the entire book.   I think that also had a lot to do with the expansion of the world building and then a rushed effort to tie it all up (which felt very cheap).

All in all, it was a solid series.   I'm not entirely sure how much this book ranks with the second one in the series, but I still liked the first one best.
Characters did grow, things did happen, it just wasn't quite up to my expectations (which are admittedly not very strict, so I don't know what I was expecting, just not lots of downtime and info-dumping).   This book left so much open, and I'm not sure if that means that there will be more books (not necessarily within this storyline, but in the "world") or not, but the story is done, feels done (if not quite satisfying), and I'm done with it.