suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Dreams of Gods & Monsters - Laini Taylor

Mostly satisfying conclusion to a solid trilogy(ish).   I say trilogy-ish because this book did leave things delightfully open ended, so you can create your own stories about it, or just wait for Laini Taylor to write more books in this universe (which I would not be surprised by, she already has some novelettes based on secondary characters).

I feel like the book felt really rushed/forced because there was just entirely too much going on.    There were new characters introduced (and/or dropped... if I didn't just forget them), and an entire race that became really important, all of a sudden and felt more than a little forced.

After a largely solid 2 books worth of world building, I felt a little bit frantic - not everything was explained, or explained well (at any rate) and not everything was fleshed out.    This largely contributed to some insane pacing issues.   The book started (chronologically before the end of Days of Blood..) at a pretty good pace, and then picks up quite quickly, with a lot of action happening fairly quickly.

The language and the visualizations that the author used are still very nice, like the first two books, and I still really loved many of the secondary characters, but this book just felt a little rushed, maybe a little under developed.   I'm sure many others will adore it, and if I were younger, I might be more forgiving, but I just found it OK.  I didn't feel like I wasted my time or money on this book, but I do not think it was as good as it could have been with more polishing, or being spread out into another book if the story was the one the author really wanted to tell.