suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke O. M. Gawd, I didn't think I'd ever finish this book.

I have two reading challenges I'm trying to complete this year:
1. To read all of the World Fantasy novel winners
2. To finish 12 books by new-to-me women genre authors.

This book fit both challenges, which is the only reason why I bothered finishing it (I started it in September).

I know where this book was going - to be a detailed, period piece with all of the societal foibles and all that jazz. And to some extent it worked. There were interesting and even funny areas of the book where I could see what the book could have been.

But I found a lot of issues with it. I think I should have loved this book, but in the end, the tortuously slow pacing couldn't be forgiven, even when there were bright spots.

And while I have read books with hilarious/fun footnotes before, in this case a lot of them were completely unnecessary and trite. And I certainly didn't need footnotes that were screens long.

I could see where she was going, I want to give her a A for effort, but a C- for execution. In the end, no go, and I certainly would never want to read another book like it. Too painful.