suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)

Untitled Downside Ghosts - Stacia Kane I almost wish I hadn't read this book. I almost wish the last book, [b:City of Ghosts|7352840|City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)|Stacia Kane|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327897476s/7352840.jpg|6912417], was the end of a trilogy, with Chess and Terrible riding off into their polluted sunset in his Chevelle.

The pacing in this book wasn't as good as the others, I wasn't entranced by the "mystery" storyline, and to be honest, I'm getting a little tired of Chess, or she was just "worse" in this book. Or I'm old and you can all get off my lawn. I think that Kane might be better served spacing the books out a little more, so we can have some character development going on. Chess is broken, but more importantly, she's young, so I expect some confusion and insecurity, but I just don't have the energy for the non-stop existential crisis Chess was in for the whole book.

Once upon a time, I devoured these books and couldn't wait to read the next one. Now I ponder even bothering with the next one.

Basic story? Chess is caught (again) between Slobag, Bump, and the Church. She's investigating a haunting at a school where the previous debunker went insane and disappeared. She has to weave her way through the politics and personalities at the school to unravel that mystery while also dealing with some sort of sacrificial-evil magicky stuff going on in Downside. Of course, you wait for the stories to dovetail and have the big reveal. Only it was boring this time.

Significant events happen (like the turnover of powers), and I still like Terrible and Elder Griffin best in the series. And yay for writing about someone being gay and it being NBD. You win a cookie star.