suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

The Last Policeman: A Novel

The Last Policeman - Ben H. Winters What would you do if you knew the world was going to end in 6 months?

I really enjoyed this novel. I love PA in general, and it's always nice to see a pre-Apocalyptic book. Even better is that the book has nothing at all to do with the coming smack of an asteroid, but about a guy who is trying to solve a murder mystery while having the whole "end of the world" hanging over one's head.

It's not a sci-fi/spec fic book, it's just a standard mystery minus the procedural stuff, plus a sci-fi background.

I didn't care as much for the lead character, because I found his particular lack of empathy to be a little too much. Yes, I get that he's all alone from a crappy family, but I thought he was a little sociopathic with his utter lack of feeling (or mostly utter, at least)

Lead character aside, I thought it was rather interesting how a book that's NOT about the apocalypse can still bring in the big questions like "what would you do if the world were literally ending" without being heavy handed.

The seamless blending of different genres deserves a lot of kudos.

Oh and spoiler, I would probably just keep on doing what I'm doing, because I rather like my life, though I'd definitely go ahead and start eating gluten again, because clearly the long term destruction of my body is no longer an issue. Beer & kolaches FTW.