suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)

Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor Goodreads and Amazon have recommended this book to me quite a lot, but since my recommendations have been failing lately, I was afraid to try it. Thankfully, Michelle gave it a good review and I thought I should try it.

I think it should be read as unspoilered as possible, so I’ll try to stay away from anything more than the Goodreads/book blurb about it.

This book does have the aura of Tanith Lee and Neil Gaiman about it. It’s dark, but pretty. Atmospheric but not bloated. It’s dark and tragic and interesting. I like that the author was original and didn’t use some stereotypes and tropes that she could have within the genres she’s writing. The characters were very well fleshed out and (for the most part) multi-dimensional. This was a short book to have as much in it as it did, which was very pleasing. There was a lot ( and I mean A LOT) in this book that could have gone wrong, and it didn’t. Beautiful and beautifully written. Tragic and magical.

I will admit that I can’t decide if I’ll go with the sequel or not. I just fear that everything that could go wrong, will. I do enjoy the writing, however, so that may tempt me into another go.