suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Leviathan

Leviathan - Scott Westerfeld, Keith Thompson This book was a lot of fun. A Steampunk alternate history of the opening of the Great War, focusing on an Austrian noble and an English mid-shipman, it was perfectly detailed and had just the right amount of action for me. Fast, without being all-actiony, and giving lots of details, but the fun kind that didn't bog down the story.

As I was carried along by the tale, I noticed some historical inaccuracies, but to be honest, I didn't mind (alternate history, after all), but when I noticed some scientific inaccuracies it bugged me a little bit (I can live with 1914 having knowledge and the ability to work with DNA, even though DNA wasn't discovered til the 50s, but I couldn't live with Darwin being the discoverer of DNA), but I let it go and just went along with the ride.

What I particularly appreciated, was that Westerfeld described/sorted out the truth/fiction of the historical accuracies (what he used that was real, what was incorrect), in his afterword at the end of the book, and for whatever reason, it placated me so that I can live with whatever he wants to throw out at the reader. I guess knowing the author is aware of what he's changing somehow make the changes OK.

I really look forward to the next in the series.