suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Vol. 1)

Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson I'm being generous with that 2, by the way.

Epic fantasy by Steven Erikson that bored me unconscious (really). I get it, what he's going for, and I get it, the world building and all, and I can see why people might like it or why it might win an award, but I hated it.

And of course, I'll hear about how smart you have to be to like this book, or how Erikson makes you "work for it," but I think all of those excuses are crap.

He starts you off by dropping you in the middle of the story with no explanation, so it's a struggle at first. I'm not a fan of that kind of writing, but whatever, I managed. The writing, itself, isn't so great, to be honest. And it took several hundred pages for me to even be mildly interested in the plot (which can happen with first books in a series, I'll give). But the worst part of the book is that not a single one of the characters engaged me at all. I do not care one whit about any of them. Some of the characters were obvious, some not quite so black and white and a little more tolerable. But if you want me to "work" for some epic fantasy series, at least bother to make me give a damn about *any* of the characters.

I definitely won't be back for any more books in the series.