suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains - Nicholas G. Carr I found this book to be difficult to get through. I felt that it wasn't well organized and the writing could have used some help. I realize the subject matter was probably a little heavy at times (which can't be helped, I suppose), but the information and the transitions between subjects didn't flow well at all.

The books basic premise is this: The Internet is changing our brains, reverting it to more of a "natural" or primitive spazzy state, rather than working our memories hard like we've been doing before.

There was a bit of background into the revolution of information, from oral history to writing to mass produced text to digitization, which was interesting in parts (how the changes in writing and production of text changes the way your brain organizes and how society changes). Unfortunately it just felt a little all over the board.

I think the parts I found most interesting, were the changes being found in how our working vs long term memory storage were being affected by the way the internet works (basically that when presented with text, our brain is working to process and remember what we're learning, but when we read something with a lot of hypertext/links, every time we see that our brain has to decide if we want to click, so the kinds of thinking we're doing are being altered).

So overall? Meh. I'm not surprised there are changes in the brain, because we're processing some information differently, but I wonder if they're as severe as I felt the author was telling us they were. And just FYI: Carr is clearly a Google FanBoi

Interesting. But I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. My background in neuroscience definitely helped me zoom through the dry spots a bit easier, but this thing was a slogfest.

I do love the irony of someone writing a book all about how we don't have the attention span to read books anymore because of the internet.