suzemo

suzemo

I love mustelid haberdashery, vinho verde wine, and wensleydale with fruit.

Harbor

Harbor - John Ajvide Lindqvist, Marlaine Delargy Disclaimer: I received this for free from St. Martins.

This was my first book by this author. I love good, non-gore horror, so I was excited to read this book.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first third (or so) of the book. The writing is beautiful and the book is wonderfully atmospheric. Both the writer and the translator deserve mountains of kudos for it (and for the rest of the writing).

When the story of the mystery of the island/sea start coming out, I thought it was a little odd, and not very satisfying. The characters are all real, the motivations make sense, but some of the "twists" are just a bit much.

Towards the very end of the book, the mystery/horror got a little crazy and the last few pages were just a jumbled hot mess. There was no explanation as to why the sea "monster" (for lack of a better term) was at that island, how it came to be, what the denizens of the island (who were so intertwined with it) were or anything. There was much made of how the sea was "weak" but no explanations, no resolution.

Beautifully written book, but the end just fell apart, like the author didn't know where he was going.

It's really 2.5 stars. I really, really liked the writing and the beginning, but the end kind of ruined it all for me.